▼

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Winging it.....

Ok, so after much debate in the Shabby Cottage sewing room I have decided to "wing it" with the free motion quilting. I have had a bit of a practice and reckon I can give it a good old fashioned try. (what on earth am I thinking - once you start there is really no going back is there.....)
Short one today and not a lot of news - although I did stab my foot with a stick at the pool the other day then had to do some minor surgery on it when we came home....the result was a fragment of the stick measuring 1/2" long. I nearly passed out pulling it out....Oh, and it would happen to be my sewing peddle foot wouldn't it! So, no sewing for 2 days and a very strange walking action......very sad indeed!
Wish me luck with the FMQ!
Kathryn. XX

25 comments:

  1. Poor you. I've always been too chicken to try FMQ, so good luck. If it doesn't work out, just blame the foot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, I feel nervous for you but have full confidence that you will do it beautifully.

    Hope your foot improves quickly so you can return to the sewing room.
    Hugs,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww weeeee That would've hurt!
    I did a similar thing and hurt like heck.
    I hope you are back in full sewing swing soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're feeling nervous just make some simple mini quilt sandwiches to practice on. It normally takes me 15-20 minutes of practicing to get really into the flow of free-motioning so I have heaps of these little mini quilt sandwiches on the go just to "warm up" on and when I'm done with them I just turn them into pot holders or those things you put hot saucepans onto to save your bench (can't think of the name right now).

    Good luck (but I know you'll do fine!)

    ~Holly

    http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly is right, its takes a little to warm up. I doodle on paper too, it helps me get into my head what I am going to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Quilt looks gorgeous. Have fun with the free motion quilting, you can get quite carried away with it. Hope your foot gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds awful! Good luck with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow I am sure it will look simply gorgeous in the end ( well it does already) and you will be a natural....though if you have to get in the mood for it first as the lovely girls suggest I would be having a little glass of wine first....well maybe not that might make for some very dodgy stitching! Hope your foot heals fast!
    Kiss Noises Linda Lilly Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well whatever happens, I'm sure it'll turn out just like all your other things...perfect and beautiful..except for your foot!! Just be glad you weren't that 30yo tourist down at the Gold Coast. He was walking next to a resort pool when he stepped on a King Brown (who was sun bathing) and was bitten. Only in Australia huh?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt will turn out beautifully, I have full belief in you, even with an injured foot! Hope the pain has settled down & it's not throbbing.
    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. you totally rock (or waddle)!!! that is superb. %*_*%

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your darning foot works better than your other foot .. haha. Good luck Kathryn and I'm with the other girls, practice for a bit then give it a go. I haven't been brave enough to work on a real quilt - yet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch!!! I hope your foot is feeling better. Holly and Julie have given you great advise, practise with pencil and paper to get the rhythm happening then on a practise piece unless you are quilting all the time. You should really pin baste it to death, like a handspan apart to have less problems with creasing in the backing. Looking forward to seeing the finished result no doubt you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your comments on my blog, really nice to know am not just posting to myself! Loving the look of that quilt, it is in my favourite colours, good luck with it x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope your foot get better soon...
    Your quilt looks lovely! Good luck on your new experience...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a glass of wine, play on a bit of scrap fabric and then enjoy - you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh...would love to LINK my BLOG/Site to yours! You have incredibly sweet things and I LOVE the DOLLS! Precious!

    Had to share this with you about my experience with foreign objects in the feet...

    I stepped on a needle many years ago and the eye-end broke off in my right big toe. I was hysterical because my hubby was out of town. I KNEW the needle was in there (ended up more than 1/2 of it) and it was going to have to come out! The kicker...I suspected I was pregnant (Yep! I was!) What a nightmare! Now I wear shoes in my studio! :)

    LOVE YOUR SITE AGAIN! What a JOY!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful quilt! Great job! Go for it. Just quilt it. I am sure it will be super! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOHH KATHRYN..HOW PAINFUL!! silly billy...that post brought back memories when i was about 10 yrs old..home just with my dad as my mum and elder brother had gone to THE BEATLES concert in melbourne..SO THIS IS A LONG TIME AGO!! 1967 or so??
    and I remember distinctly standing on a drawing pin which went right through my foot to its end..YOUCH!!
    YOUCH YOUCH!!

    xxx andrea

    ReplyDelete
  20. oooohhhhhhhhhhhh I hope your foot gets better... before you get into the FMQ..... but I love the pinks in your quilt..... looks very pretty
    hope you are feeling better each day

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathryn,

    Your quilt is stunning and coming out quite beautiful. I stumbled upon your blog and am so glad I did. Just in time to wish you well and hopefully you'll be back to pedaling your sewing machine soon.


    Take care,

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with the FMQ! Looking forward to seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, stick in the foot! OUCH! Here's to a speedy recovery for your pedal foot. :)
    And I'm in the same boat as you. Scared to quilt!! I wish my quilt suited free motion quilting... it seems easier than straight lines!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope that sewing peddle foot gets well soon...oh, and you, too! Here's to a miraculous recovery and lots of sewing to come soon! Lovely blog photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your quilt is just lovely. I really like your choice of colors. My first quilt (not too long ago) was on a wing and a prayer as well and it turned out fine.

    Stop by and visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete