Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Kelly skirt..or the Kathryn skirt.....

I really loved the versions of the Kelly Skirt by Megan Nielson going around the web....
 
so I made my own.......
 I 'like' it but don't love it; I think it's the flat, no shape waist band that doesn't feel very comfortable (it's ok standing, but not when I sit down - must be the middle bulge thing.....
 And I think it needs to be a bit shorter? However, I do like my contrasting red polka dot pockets!
So I decided to make a different version because I really like the silhouette of the Kelly with the pleats and the front pockets......
Maybe I could call it the 'Kathryn'?
Nikki's A-Line skirt pattern came in handy for this because I used the waist pattern pieces because I know it sits well and is comfortable wearing.
I just cut them down so they weren't as deep. I put a back zipper in so I didn't have to do all those button holes.
The fabric was offcuts from my Mum who made some work overalls for Dad about oh, um, 35 years ago....Whaaaat?
Then I saw this fabulous skirt on ModCloth and had to make another in green!! 
 It's a lovely light weight silky fabric (half price at Lincraft a while back) which I had to line so I didn't have to wear a petticoat.
(so old fashioned but there is nothing worse than seeing straight through someone's dress, yes?)
 I added the tie and the tie catchers and did the invisible zip at the back, Nikki would be proud!!!
So I have quite a few Spring/Summer wardrobe pieces now; they all mix and match and cost next to nothing. Yay!
Kathryn. xx
 


4 comments:

rachelmp said...

They look fantastic. I love the green one especially, and your red shoes, and the polka dot top...

Tanya said...

Oooh, youre all set for spring. I particularly that green one. Gee, my mum has got plenty of fabric that's been sitting around for 35 years as well I reckon!

Karen said...

They're all great but I love the green one best - perfect for that few days of Spring we just had!!

Unknown said...

Lolz..!